April 29, 2011

Playoff Picks - Reaction

AKA - The one where I am an idiot.

After taking 24 hours to absorb the disappointment of myself and Durf's failure in our first round of predictions, I decided to take a look and see if the series I ended up being wrong about were ones where the statistics indicated the potential for very close series (the answer to this was not really).

Looking at our records in the 4 series that went to 7 games, I noticed that our combined record in those series was 1-7 (MD: 1-3, Durf: 0-4), which seems very unlucky. The moral of the story is - of course - that a seven game series is a bit of a crap-shoot. Had the two game 7 overtimes gone the other way, Durf would have had the best record of anyone.

I also noticed one more thing when reviewing. My pick for the Tampa/Pittsburgh series was not correct based on the statistics. Tampa was 20.5%PP and 83.8%PK (Total 104.3%), Pittsburgh 15.8%PP and 86.1%PK (Total 101.9%), meaning that my pick for that series was actually Tampa, and my record was 5-3.

This brings the standings to:

Matthew Barnaby: 7-1
Damien Cox: 6-2
Scott Cullen: 5-3
Mike Brophy/Mark Spector: 5-3
Pierre Lebrun: 5-3
MD: 5-3
Durf: 4-4


So in the end, my prediction abilities look slightly better, my basic math skills slightly worse, and I still have to try to sleep at night knowing I did worse than Damien Cox.

Enjoy the second round everyone.

No comments: